Day 30, Written – 6/26, Posted - 6/27
Today was mostly cool and foggy riding across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I had grand plans of spending some time exploring the back roads of Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore on Lake Superior. Unfortunately, the fog was so thick on that side of the peninsula that I only made a cursory side trip to check it out. I did try and take a picture.
Earlier in the day I had stopped in Ironwood Michigan to get some breakfast (Belgian waffles with too much whipped cream), during which time I chatted with Karen and Leah about their respective showings in the road race they ran this morning up in Augusta. Leah finished second in her class in the half-marathon. She was playing it down but it is pretty cool.
Once I got near Lake Superior and I realized how poor the weather would be for cliff gazing, I decided to see if I could find a local pub and try and catch the USA/Ghana World Cup game. I stumbled on The Wild Rover Irish Pub in Marquette and got there just as they were singing the national anthems. What timing. To top it off I had a burger which I rated the best of the trip so far. I alos had a Michigan porter which was quite excellent from a brewery named Founder's. That makes two Irish pubs to revisit, remember the one Euray, Colorado?
Anyway, I stayed for the whole game (which went into overtime) and by the time it was over the weather had gotten a but nicer so I did go down to the first set of cliffs in the lake shore. Then I boogied to my intended camp ground which is quite nice about five miles down a dirt road off a secondary county road. By the time I got here, the weather had turned beautiful with blue skies and no clouds. I hope it holds through the night as the weather reports are predicting unsettled weather. So far so good.
Look out of any window, any morning, any evening, any day.
Maybe the sun is shining, birds are singing,
No rain is falling from a heavy sky.
What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
For this is all a dream we dreamed one afternoon, long ago.
-Robert Hnnter
weird we went to a brewery in marquette too, i wonder if it was the same one. pretty town.
ReplyDelete