Today was the first day since the accident that I felt like I was back in rhythm. 400+ miles through spectacular country.
Started the day heading into Ukiah looking to get the oil changed but the dealer wasn't open on Mondays. I should have been ready for that as Street Cycles in Falmouth has the same hours. Oh well, just keep on going. I headed over to the coast to finish off Rte. 20 and wound up in Ft. Bragg, CA. It was cool with strong ocean breeze but I did get to see the Pacific. There are a few pictures, one continuing the the 'trestle' theme that I seem to be developing along the way. I headed up the coast on Rte. 1 as far as I could and then wound up back on Rte 101, which is also along the coast that far north.
I was making for Eureka as I figured there had to be a Kawasaki dealer there but I had no idea where it was. I was just about to stop and ask when it showed up on my side of the highway and it was open! Kurt and the gang took care of it in less than 30 minutes and I was on my way with fresh oil. It has always struck me that cars/motorcycles seem to run better when they have fresh oil, have you noticed that as well?
While I was waiting for the bike, I gave Don a call to see if he would be available for that Detroit Lake ride he has been threatening ever since he found out that I am a rider. It turns out that tomorrow (Tuesday) is the best day for him (poor guy, he actually has to work...I wonder what that feels like). He did a little Googling and found that it was only 400 miles from Eureka to Detroit Lake. I figure I can get there tomorrow afternoon (which will be after this is posted (not true)) but I need to take a ride up around Crater Lake (I can't be this close and not at least get a picture or two) as it is one of the most stunning places I have ever been.
I headed out of Eureka and rode about 180 miles to a camp site that is literally on a special exit of I5 between Grants Pass and Medford Oregon. I had no idea it was here and was looking for a hotel when the sign showed up. When I say it is right on the interstate, I can here the cars but can't see the headlights and there is nothing but a grassy knoll between my tent and the road (I am hoping the noise acts like a babbling brook). I had a shower this morning (this campground has free showers as well) and felt like it would be cheaper than a hotel and I seem to sleep better caming.
As usual, it turned out for the best as my next door neighbors, Bill and Gloria, are returning from watching their son get an MBA diploma from San Luis Obispo via Portland (to see their daughters) to Boseman, Montanna. We started chatting and they offered me some wine (which I wasn't about to turn down) and then it turns out they were either going to throw out their Thai halibut or offer it to me. I am so happy they had so much, it was wonderful. Dessert was double chocolate oatmeal cookies. What a treat! Bill and Gloria are retired. He was a lineman and she was an elementary school teacher. Welcome to my blog!
Plan your trips with EveryTrail Mobile Travel Guides
We can share the women, we can share the wine.
We can share what we got of yours 'cause we done shared all of mine.
Keep on rollin', just a mile to go;
Keep on rollin' my old buddy, you're movin' much too slow.
-Robert Hunter
So was Crater Lake still blizzard-y? Because it was a month ago.
ReplyDeleteNot blizzardy but there was still six feet of snow around. By the way, when having breakfast at Crater Lake, I took the opportunity to get my first senior citizen discount since the age limit was 55.
ReplyDeleteDad/Fred