Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 14

Another long day of riding, longer than I expected (about 500 miles). However, it was great. The new bike performed well and I am really getting the hang of it.

Started out in Tonopah in the high desert but it was early in the morning so it was cool. Not much to see except for the white water tower in the middle of nowhere (and I mean there was nothing around) that read in plain block letters the following message 'We're missing you already'. The California state line was about a half mile down the road, I wish there was a 'we' around to to whom to attribute the sentiment. I wish I had a camera (I am going to take care of that today (Day 15)).

After leaving the desert I started heading up the eastern slope of the Sierra Madre reminding me of Humphrey Bogart, John Huston, and Tim Holt in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I thought I saw three guys going off into the hills with some Mules.

The first 20 miles of CA 120 reminded of the elevator road (when I used to go to Summit Point Race Track in West Virginia I would take one of the girls alternating for some father/daughter bonding and there was a road between the hotel and the track that had a series of sudden little rises and then dips back down and we called it the elevator road) on steroids. It was a lot of fun but I found myself worrying about the sudden unweighting of the front wheel but the KLR showed no ill effects. Yahoo!!!

Then it was up over to the east entrance of Yosemite at Tioga Pass. It was downright cold! The snow at the side of the road was still 18" deep and there was a lot of melt around. Needless to say the riding and scenario was spectacular, I wish I had a camera (I am going to take care of that today). I did not go into Yosemite Valley as it was the wrong direction and VERY crowded.

Instead, I headed on local roads, took the freeway around Sacramento, and then got off to take the back way into wine country. The riding was great, really twisty roads up and down over the ridges between the wine valleys. I had to put the bike on the reserve tank in Napa Valley and went looking for a gas station, even asking a State Trooper where I might find one. "Oh just down the road a piece another 15 miles." Don't the cars and all those visitors need gas in Napa? It was a little harrowing not knowing the new bike. The manual says there is only a half gallon left when it goes on reserve. I think they do that just to scare you. After riding for about 30 miles (the bike is getting about 45 MPG) I found a gas station and put 5.2 gallons in a 6 gallon tank. I had plenty of room to spare but I was a little freaked for a while.

I finally arrived at this unbelievably nice house in Healdsburg that Karen picked out for a family weekend where I was greeted like royalty returning from a successful campaign against the heathens. Attending were Lee (Karen's dad), Phil &Anita (brother and sister-in-law), Jennifer (sister), and Sharon & Dean (aunt and uncle). Arriving today will be Amy (cousin, daughter of Sharon & Dean). We had a dinner that couldn't be beat with a zinfandel and cabernet from a local winery. If any of you are interested in a large gathering in the wine country, definitely check with us for the details. This place is amazing. I wish I had a camera (I will take care of that today).

One other thing, it seems my portable device has been a delayed casualty of the accident as the charging port has pulled off its mount (an endemic problem with this model). If I can't find a way to get the battery charged or a new phone the maps might stop. I was planning on having the gps files as a record of the trip.

I will be here until at least Sunday if not Monday so I may take a break from posting for a day or two.

California is a Garden of Eden
A paradise to live in or to see
But believe it or not
You won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the dough re mi
-Woody Guthrie

3 comments:

  1. I love the Woody Guthrie reference! I am only tuning in today, and will go backwards chronologically. Love, Flor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I guess the Woody Guthrie reference somehow cosmically pulled my mom and me onto your blog for the first time tonight. Enjoy...
    --Marshall

    ReplyDelete