Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 2

Day 2 was a throwback to bonding experiences with my siblings. In the morning I watched an old movie ("In Harm's Way") with my sister, Melissa. When I lived with Melissa and Alan for a summer I would watch a movie before heading off to work while Melissa was home on maternity leave.

After a quick ride to Princeton I spent the afternoon dedicated to preventative maintenance with my brother Hank. In the days when we lived a block and a half from each other, pretty much every Saturday we would get together and work on one or the other's car. The key was whichever car needed some work the other brother would ramrod the job. I have no idea what dynamic was behind that particular behavioral pattern, maybe it was that if one of us screwed up a car it wasn't our own.

At any rate the bike has:
1) New tires - true to form Hank did all the work on this portion of the job.
2) New chain - I was the one with experience in this area but the tool I have is broken when it comes to the removal of the old chain so Hank had to step in and get the old chain off
3) New brake pads - All mine

I finished up the day watching the first game of the Stanley Cup Finals, another throwback. When I was young (say 12-15 years old) my parents would go out on Saturday nights and leave Melissa and me in the care of Hank. I have no idea what Melissa did but Hank and I would watch The Big Whistle (Bill Chadwick) call the Saturday night Rangers games (in the days of Jean Rattelle, Vic Hadfield, and Rod Gilbert with Ed Giacomin in goal). Unfortunately, Bobby Orr played for the Bruins. In those days dinner was frozen pizza (I didn't eat one of those yesterday, rather Micky made a fabulous risotto (I had to stop her from putting the cheese in my portion)).

Today (Day 3) will be spent hanging around in Princeton for a cookout (Micky, Alan, and I are sharing the cooking), another family pattern. One of these days I will head west.

PGL-Day2 at EveryTrail


Plan your trips with EveryTrail Mobile Travel Guides

Note: there was a short side trip to a Hom Depot to get a part in Hank's cage (that is what motorcyclist's call cars) when I forgot to turn the GPS recorder off.

If all you got to live for is what you left behind,
Get yourself a powder charge and seal that silver mine.
Lost my boots in transit, baby, pile of smokin' leather.
I nailed a retread to my feet and prayed for better weather.
-Robert Hunter

3 comments:

  1. Think I got this blog thing down...guess if I must be a follower, it might as well be Fred...not as good as riding shotgun, but close enow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boomer-

    Glad to have you aboard! Maybe you should take lessons from Priscilla:) She signed up right away.

    Can't wait to see you guys!! I should be in Cleveland for a few days with plenty of stories to tell, we will have to do more than the bball game.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. in case you need help

    http://beermapping.com/brewery-maps/us-brewery-map/

    ReplyDelete