1) The first stop was Standard Baking in the Old Port for a brioche roll for breakfast and a rustic baguette for snacking (Audrey, I told Sara you would stop by). For those of you that don't know, Standard is where Audrey worked for a while after graduation and is the best bakery I have ever tried in the U.S. (I have work friends from France that stop there for bread on the way home the way other people pick up lobster to take home). Both lived up to their expectations.
2) Next I stopped at Kimball's Creamery for some ice cream in Littleton, MA. It was a beautiful day and it was packed. I would up behind a group of WWII veterans in their VFW regalia and they asked where I was going with my bike all packed for the trip (click on red 'push pin' on map to see picture), we had a very pleasant conversation they were in a veterans choir and had two gigs for Memorial Day. They had all served in the Pacific Theater. The ice cream was good but no Tubby's.
3) I skipped Rein's.
4) We had reservoir Pizza for dinner. Reservoir is in Boonton, NJ and just five miles from sister's house. If any of you are driving up or down I287 in NJ, I recommend it wholeheartedly. The pizza is consistently excellent and I have no problem polishing off five slices. I did cobble together a round of daiquiris to get the night started after which Alan served up some excellent wine.
The riding & weather were wonderful until I had to cross Westchester and then fight my over the Tappan Zee Bridge, I don't miss the traffic or the humidity.
Just like Jack the Ripper, just like Mojo Hand,
Just like Billy Sunday, in a shotgun ragtime band,
Just like New York City, just like Jerico,
Pace the halls and climb the walls and get out when they blow.
-Robert Hunter
No "favorite road of the day", or maybe a count of a particular road-side item? (On my bike -- that's bicycle -- trip from SF to SD, we kept a roadkill count. But then again, we were 14.)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!!
Your map thing doesn't work. Also, I will try to assemble a list of awesome (sections of) roads you need to see sometime soon and send it your way. But since most of them are in the West I figure you have time...
ReplyDeleteJay-
ReplyDeleteInteresting that yo mention road kill. The road between Melissa's and Hank's was littered with uncountable numbers of deer. It is a pretty gruesome approach to population control.
Audrey-
It seems to work here on my PC running Chrome and Hank's Mac running both Firefox and Safari. Not sure what is wrong with yours.
I look forward to the list of roads.